QUOTE

From the view of a 20-something dream chaser.

Life Lessons

Friday, July 27, 2012

"When someone believes in you, it moves your heart." As a result, you can then literally (ok, maybe not literally but you sure feel like it!) move mountains. Without a doubt, that is how I have felt in the year 2012. I am so fortunate to be surrounded by family and friends who truly believe in and support me. And it comes in handy.

Since my last entry, I have accepted plenty of losses and experienced some disappointments; made some decisions that I didn't think through and some that I am most proud of; and I have held firm to my belief that everything happens for a reason.

To give you an example, on my third attempt at the Miss Virginia crown, I failed to make the Top 12 after making it last year. Was I disappointed? Sure. Did I accept my loss at the hands of twelve very deserving young women? I sure did. Was I defeated? Absolutely not. You can't keep a good woman down and I'd like to think I'm a good woman. With a different panel of judges on a different day, the results could have been completely different. I realize that. So I moved on. I know who I am, where I stand and for what I will take a stand. If I had to define confidence (which I'm skeptical to fully believe in anyway), that's how I'd define it. Plus, I know several people who believe I could have (and maybe someday could still be) Miss Virginia.

They also believed, like I did, that I could be accepted into New York University for graduate school. And I was. I also received a partial scholarship to help cut the cost of tuition. I couldn't be happier. The market for public relations in New York is huge and I knew that moving there would definitely benefit me professionally in the long run. For that reason, a large part of me wanted to go to New York this fall, no matter how badly I wanted the job of Miss Virginia. Now, all of me is going! God sure knows what He is doing, that I am sure.

Back in April, I went to New Orleans for an alternative break. At night, each team member shared a "high" and "low" moment of that day. I now write down my highs and lows each night (that I remember), and I've found it increasingly hard to choose just one high. My lows are quite often as silly as missing the first five minutes of Wheel of Fortune or my ice cream cone melting. This has shown me that there is truly so much to be grateful for, so little to cry over and a whole world that is waiting to be explored. My exploration of this world will continue in New York City this fall. Where will yours?

No comments

Post a Comment

Testing

Life is Deleesh. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.