QUOTE

From the view of a 20-something dream chaser.

10 Things I Love About My Internship

Thursday, November 15, 2012

One thing is certain: when you're an intern, you have to work twice as hard to do everyone's grunt work in the office and still somehow manage to get valuable experience, make connections and contacts and get maximum exposure for your work. And let me tell ya, it ain't easy. I spend most of my days...dun dun dun...doing mailings. That means I'm tasked with packaging and mailing books to bloggers, TV and radio show hosts and the likes all across the country, in hopes that they will review said book on their blog/website/show. It isn't always easy, but I actually don't mind it that much. I'm just being dramatic.

And since my time at Simon & Schuster is drawing to a close at the end of this month, and it's nearly Thanksgiving, I figured it might be a good idea to think back on all the things I've loved about working there.

10. Everyone's door is always open. Literally. From the senior vice presidents to the senior publicists to the directors of marketing, not a single door is closed. That was the first thing I noticed on Day 1. And since I love to ask questions, I've continually taken advantage of this. It's a great way to meet people. And to learn.

9. I'm never counting down the hours (or minutes) until I get off. That's because they keep me busy. Remember how I mentioned mailings earlier? I've sent as many as 500 in a single day. And that's just for one book. Crazy, right? But in addition to those darn mailings, I'm also able to research trends in readership based on a certain author's audience and write press releases to send out to the media.

8. It's at Rockefeller Center! I know this has nothing to do with the work I do, but being at a great location boosts your morale, in a way. Plus, it adds to the cultural experience of living in NYC. If you aren't really sure what Rockefeller Center in all its grandeur is, check out the link I posted. When I don't pack my lunch (which should never, ever happen, given I'm on a strict budget), I venture down to the underground concourse and choose from a wide selection of restaurants. Outside my building, there are also great places to shop, like H&M and J.Crew. I try my best to stay in the building. Oh! And once I get on the train in the mornings, I don't even have to go back outside to get to work. I just take the escalator all the way. This especially comes in handy on super cold, rainy or snowy days. And I've experienced all of them in my short time here.

7. Speaking of Rockefeller Center, the discounts! Just by being an "employee" of Rockefeller Center, I was privy to early-bird discounted tickets to see...wait for it...THE RADIO CITY CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR! It really doesn't get much better than this. When I first saw the ads, I thought Dear Lord, please see to it that I am in the number to see those glorious Radio City Rockettes this Christmas season. Then I went online to view ticket prices and my mouth dropped: dream was too shattered. But won't the good Lord make way? He ain't nothing but the dag on truth. He may not come when you want Him, but golly He's right on time. And I thank Him.

6. My co-workers are awesome. I mainly work with a cool chick named Jill. She's just as preppy and chipper as I am, so we get along great. She used to work as a production assistant for CBS before she switched over to publishing and I've learned so much from her about what it's like working in both industries. And my other co-workers are equally amazing and accomplished in their fields. And they always thank me and tell me how much they appreciate my help. It's inspiring to hear stories about their careers and lives because someday when I have an intern, that will be me.

5. I'm able to learn a lot about the entire publishing process and not just the publicity aspect of. So much goes into writing and publishing a book from start to finish! You have no idea. And then to get it placed in exactly the right mediums is an art of its own.

4. Sometimes, I get to work on top-secret projects that I can't talk about because they haven't been revealed yet. Who wouldn't feel special with that kind of knowledge?

3. There's a "Brown Bag Lunch & Learn" every week. All the interns from across the company come together for lunch with full-time employees of the company. One week, my own boss, the publicity director for our imprint was a guest. Another week, a senior editor was. They are always open to the many questions we interns have and it's amazing to see how so many of them had no interest in book publishing, yet here they are.

2. FREE BOOKS! I debated whether this should be my number one reason, just because I love books so much. Books can take you to places near and far, past and present. I love that. And I love how I'm able to expand my mind and views on things like politics (currently reading 50 Things Liberals Love to Hate by Mike Gallagher) and cooking (just finished Angelina's Bachelor's: A Novel with Food by Brian O'Reilly) and even poverty (also read An Angry-Ass Black Woman by Karen E. Quinones Miller). And I don't have to beg for an endless supply of Barnes & Noble gift cards in order to do it.

1. I enjoy getting out of bed each morning to go to the office. That's what's most important, right? If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. As I set out to find a full-time job in the coming months, it is my hope that this feeling remains.



This place has truly been what dreams are made of and I am going to miss it so much.

2 comments

  1. What a great experience to have had this semester! Many of us in the PR&CC program seem to be going through similar experiences. Your experience this semester seems to be special. From working in Rockefeller, which is awesome and I'm extremely jealous, to learning from professionals during the 'Brown Bag Lunch' day, the time spent there is priceless. Aside from all of those things I think one of the biggest takeaways is the enjoyment of getting up in the morning and going to work. I think we all hope and strive to find that job that makes you excited to walk through the doors, and not count down the minutes until you can leave. Best of luck on your job search! Keep me updated on how everything goes, and I hope you find a job that you love and care for as much as you did for this internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne, thanks so much for reading! I really appreciate it. I'm back on the hunt for an internship (or maybe even a full-time job!) for next semester. I will be sure to keep you updated.

    ReplyDelete

Testing

Life is Deleesh. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.