QUOTE

From the view of a 20-something dream chaser.

How to be Beautiful

Friday, August 8, 2014

Being a beauty queen and all, I'm often asked for beauty secrets. The truth is: I don't have any. I believe in the democratization of beauty so I share what works for me freely. And when I say it works for me, I mean just that. The best way to find what works for you is to experiment with as many different products as your budget will permit. Subscription services like Birchbox and Glossybox are great resources for beauty experimenters. Both send you monthly samples of products you otherwise may never try. And the samples are always enough that you can use them several times so you know it really works. If you want to know what works for me, keep reading.


First things first...

Brush and floss [twice] daily.

Your dentist wasn't kidding. I generally only floss once a day (or every other day, if we're being completely honest), but always brush morning and night. Keeping your mouth healthy is just as important as taking care of the rest of your body. I use ARM & HAMMER™ Advance White™ Extreme Whitening with Stain Defense and it works fabulously for both a pearly white smile and fresh breath. WARNING: Some of my friends have been unable to stand the intensity of the flavor. Spread on your toothbrush at your own risk.

For Beautiful Skin


Invest in a Clarisonic

There was a time when I would come home and watch makeup and beauty tutorials on YouTube. One YouTuber was demonstrating her nightly routine and she used a Clarisonic to wash her face. After conducting my own research (with beauty queens and beauty mavens alike), I decided to make the investment. I have the Mia 2 and couldn't be more obsessed with it. My skin is clear and acne-free and just overall smooth. I highly recommend it.

Use a mask every now and then

My mask of choice is Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque. It has a tingly sensation that just makes you confident that it's doing its job. I apply a generous amount about twice a month and let it harden. I then use warm water and a cloth to gently wipe it off.

Use a tinted moisturizer

You know those YouTube videos I told you I watch? Nothing I ever learn really works for me so applying makeup is still very much a struggle. On an average day when I don't need much coverage, Bobbi Brown tinted moisturizer works perfectly. It is also SPF 15.

Use a water-based foundation

Ok so on days I really think I know what I'm doing, I wear full foundation. I'm currently using PERFECTION LUMIÈRE by Chanel because a friend recommended it. Before that, I used MAC, but it didn't really seem to be working for me anymore. This one is oil-free and SPF 10.

Always wash your makeup off before bed.

Never ever ever go to bed in your makeup. It's horrible for your skin and pillowcases. My go-to makeup remover is the Neutrogena Hydrating Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes. I will use any Neutrogena towelette because the makeup comes off easily and my skin doesn't feel dry afterwards, but I prefer the hydrating ones over the original because they add extra moisture before bed.

For Beautiful Hair


Deep condition regularly

Just living your fabulous life causes wear and tear on your hair, not to mention many shampoos and conditioners dry your hair out. My weekly deep conditioner is made by Mixed Chicks. No, I'm not mixed. I mean, I guess I am way down the line. But I use this every time I wash my own hair. At first, I would put a shower cap on and let it marinate for at least fifteen minutes, but I have since discovered that combing it through my hair with my fingers and then plopping it on top of my head while I shower works just as well. And it smells amazeballs.

Use heat protectant spray

One of my Miss Virginia Dogwood sponsors was kind enough to send me Mizani products, including shampoo & conditioner, styling serum and heat protectant spray. I switch up my shampoo and conditioner pretty regularly because I once read it's a good practice, but after washing, I always use Mizani heat protectant spray before flat ironing. This one also makes your hair shine bright like a diamond.

And lay off the heat sometimes

I know the feeling. Some days my hair has a mind of its own and the only way I can think to tame it is to apply heat. But challenge yourself to do it less and you will be surprised by how your hair can manage.

For a Beautiful Body


Sleep on your stomach

I read somewhere that sleeping on your stomach helps keep it flat. I don't know if this is scientifically proven but it sure works for me (with an occasional workout and healthy eating, of course).

Actually work out

There simply is no excuse for not working out today. You deserve a body worth flaunting (in moderation). Join your nearest gym, purchase some Jillian Michaels DVDs, go running or pop into a zumba or cycling class. One of my personal faves is Pure Barre. Their mantra is: Lift. Tone. Burn. And when they say "burn," they mean it. Big time. But it's so worth it.

For a Beautiful YOU


More than all this, to be beautiful requires constant work. I always say beauty is a way of life. It's in everything you say and do. So be beautiful. Start on the inside and work your way out. You'd be amazed by how your life changes. Audrey Hepburn got it right when she said: 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Beauty: it's what dreams are made of.



2 comments

  1. Your blog is truly AMAZING. I have been reading through several of your posts and you are quite the writer. I am extremely impressed! You definitely have a new fan. Have you considered getting your own domain?
    Kel
    thekelfix.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kelechi! So sorry I'm just seeing this! Thanks for the love. I checked out your blog and yours is amazing, too. I now have my own domain (www.delesia.com) but I'm still figuring out the whole coding/layout thing. Any suggestions you can give me would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Testing

Life is Deleesh. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.