QUOTE

From the view of a 20-something dream chaser.

Fast Five

Friday, July 15, 2016

Photo via blackgirlhealth.com

I bet the woman described in Proverbs 31 was a neat freak. She likely coined the phrase "a place for everything and everything in its place." She's the type of woman that you could stop by unannounced and the smell of ocean breeze consumes you as she opens the front door. She greets you with a smile and welcomes you to join her in the kitchen where she's preparing the most delicious meal ever as light music plays. At the sight of fresh lemonade on the counter, your mouth waters. You figure There's no way she can be this perfect, so you ask to use the restroom and secretly snoop--only to find that to your horror, there isn't a speck of dust on even the tallest shelf.

That woman ain't me. (The one whose house it is. I'm totally the snooper--I love exploring homes.) As anyone who knows me well knows, I'm no neat freak. My mind is always moving a million miles a minute so I may leave a jacket here and my laptop there. My bedroom slippers are often anywhere in my apartment but on my feet. I leave bobby pins and hair ties everywhere. Now that I think of it, I still haven't found my glasses...Anyway, people who are super neat amaze me. I'm like...how? I wasn't born with that overly organized gene. I'm a go-with-the-flow kinda girl and my chaos doesn't always have to be organized--a Type B if there ever was one. But I reckon I can't be like this forever so I decided to make a change.

I've adopted what I call Fast Five. It stems from a practice I read in a chapter of a book I started but never finished about developing habits. (Oh, the irony.) The chapter says that to develop a habit, you must commit to doing it each day for a certain number of days. I've heard so many days between 21 and 60 that I'm not really sure where people are getting these numbers so I've resolved not to count. Instead, I'm aiming for overall consistency. More days than not, I follow through. So far, so good.

Each night before bed, I set a timer for five minutes. Then I go about cleaning and tidying up as fast as I can. I'm amazed at just how much I can do in five minutes--unload and reload the dishwasher, sweep the common areas, wipe down the bathroom surfaces. I can even see my bedroom floor again after I put away all the outfits I tried on that morning but didn't like and didn't hang back up. When the timer goes off, sometimes I decide I'm finished, but other times I find that I can't stop and I keep looking for ways to make my surroundings neater. The goal is at least five minutes, but it can be more. If I'm doing it consistently, then I won't have to spend more than five minutes doing it. That's the ultimate goal.

In closing, the Proverbs 31 woman and everything she stands for really gets on my nerves. But I do strive to become more like her each day. And for the record, anyone who says she's a Proverbs 31 woman and not an aspiring one...well, the truth is not in her. I mean, come on. She's an impossible woman. She's a guide, not a checklist. A journey, not a destination. That's why she's virtuous and worth far more than rubies.

If you're a Messy Sue (like my mom calls me -_-) and want to change your life, consider adding Fast Five to your daily or nightly routine. It makes life deleesh.

2 comments

  1. I LOVE this, D! I'm totally a Messy Sue, too! I'm trying to get on a weekly schedule for cleaning (laundry monday, bathrooms tuesday...etc) but this Fast 5 method is awesome even just for overall tidying up!! From one ASPIRING Proverbs 31 woman to another...thanks for the tips! xo, Charlotte (PS. When does the Proverbs 31 woman sleep? I always wonder. There's no way she's getting a full 8 hours.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Char! Hope it helps you. And girl, you know it says she rises while it is still night--she don't sleep! Lol

      Delete

Testing

Life is Deleesh. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.